Get hands-on and inspired with our STEM taster day.
Unfortunately all places for the 2018 Schools' Challenge are now taken!
If you would like to be added to a waiting list, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be in touch to discuss your options.
The STEM Challenge Day is to give pupils a chance to share their enthusiasm for science, technology, engineering and maths, meet some local STEM professionals – and have fun!
The event is a great way to help your school meet the career benchmarks proposed in the Gatsby Good Career Guidance Handbook.
When and where will it be held?
The challenge day will be on Tuesday 9th October 2018 at the Allia Future Business Centre, London Road, Peterborough.
How long are the sessions?
Each school/group will attend a morning OR afternoon session. Each session will last approximately 3 hours.
(subject to change)
- 9:00am – Registration and introduction. Each team will be assigned to a STEM area lasting 30 minutes per activity.
- 9:15 to 9:45am – Challenge One.
- 9:45 to 10:15am – Challenge Two.
- 10:15 to 10:30am – Short break.
- 10:30 to 11:00am Challenge Three.
- 11:00 to 11:30am Challenge Four.
- 11:30 to 11:45am Final presentation. End.
- 12:00 – Registration and introduction. Each team will be assigned to a STEM area lasting 30 minutes per activity.
- 12:15 to 12:45 – Challenge One.
- 12:45 to 1:15pm – Challenge Two.
- 1:15 to 1:30pm – Short break.
- 1:30 to 2:00pm Challenge Three.
- 2:00 to 2:30pm Challenge Four.
- 2:30 to 2:45pm Final presentation. End.
How many per team?
Schools who register to attend are invited to bring a team of up-to 10 pupils to compete against other schools in the area, over a range of STEM challenges.
What will the teams be asked to do?
Participants will be face challenges in the four areas of Science, technology, Engineering, and Mathematics. They will be tasked with solving science based problems, building engineering structures, working on forensics puzzles, solving brain teasers and taking part in some fantastic coding activites.
What year group is this suitable for?
Both sessions will be open to children aged 9-11 (primary school year groups 5/6) .
Places are limited and it is advised to apply early to avoid disappointment.
Judging and prizes
Winning teams will be awarded prizes, and the overall winning school will be presented the Peterborough STEM Fesitval trophy for their school. Judges will be confirmed at a later date.